PADI Assistant Instructor Course
The PADI Assistant Instructor (AI) course is a 5-day course designed to prepare PADI Divemasters or equivalent to become PADI Assistant Instructor. This course begins the PADI Instructor Development process and is scheduled during the first 4 days of our instructor development course (IDC). The PADI Assistant Instructor rating authorizes you to function as an instructional assistant and independently conduct certain PADI programs. Successful completion of the AI course also qualifies you to participate in the open water scuba instructor (OWSI) program.
Combination of AI course and the OWSI program into a continuous program makes up the entire IDC.
You have several training options and flexibility for reaching your professional goals depending on your current certification level, experience level, time restraints, etc. Options include:
PADI Divemaster may choose just to attend the AI course first and later on after gaining more experience go on to complete the OWSI program.
PADI Divemaster may attend the full IDC and, upon successful completion, go on to the IE (as long as all other IE prerequisites are met).
- Be certified as PADI Divemaster or hold a leadership level certification with another recreational diver training organization.
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- Be fit for diving and submit a Medical Statement for a diving medical examination conducted within the past 12 months from the start date of the IE must be signed and state Fit for diving ( PADI medical Statement Form recommended).
- Have been a certified diver for at least six months and have completed and logged at least 60 open water scuba dives (100 logged dives to attend the IE, except as noted below), as documented in the individuals log book and have documentation of experience in deep, night and navigation.
- Submit proof of CPR training within the past 24 months.
- Submit documentation (photocopy) of any qualifying certifications issued by another recreational diver training organization.
- If not a PADI Divemaster, complete the PADI Divemaster Course Diver Rescue Skills Assessment.